Have you ever tried Korean food?
Recently, I was so homesick for my country, so I wanted to go back my house. Also, I miss my family and my cat, but I can’t go there because an airline ticket is expensive, and I don’t have enough time. Therefore, I wanted to eat some Korean food, and my friends proposed to cook LA Galbi to me. I think that the recipe is very difficult and complicate, so I didn’t want to cook it. However, my friends wanted to eat the menu because it is a popular Korean dish, so I cooked LA Galbi.
(I cooked LA Galbi for my friends and me)
I don’t know why so many people call LA Galbi, so I found the information about the name. But I couldn’t find exactly reasons. Anyway, basically, the menu need ribs because Galbi means ribs. Also, the recipe’source is composed soy source, garlic, onion, and a lot seasoning. It is not a easy and quick recipe, but I want to introduce the recipe below the posting.
( If you like to eat vegetable, you can eat with other a carrot, cucumber, lettuce, and so on.)
- 3.5 LB (1.5 kg) of LA style beef short ribs
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- black ground pepper
- soybean paste
- hot pepper paste
- green onions
- perilla leaves
- green chili pepper
- Trim excess fat from the short ribs and rinse a couple times in cold water.
- Soak the ribs in cold water for 10-20 minutes to remove the blood.
- In a large bowl, add ⅓ cup soy sauce, ⅓ cup water or cooking wine, ¼ cup honey (or ⅓ cup brown sugar), and 1 ts ground black pepper.
- Blend 1 Korean pear (about 2 cups’ worth), 8 cloves of garlic, 1 medium onion, and 1 ts of chopped ginger until it turns into a white creamy liquid.
- Add it to your soy sauce base and add 2 tbs sesame oil.
*tip: If you can’t find a Korean pear, use 2 ripe bosc pears. I sometimes use bosc pears and they work well.
- Rinse the short ribs in fresh cold water a couple more times to remove any remaining bone fragments. Drain the water.
- Add the ribs to the marinade and mix it well, by hand.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Overnight is better, but an hour is ok if you are short of time.
Let’s cook and eat!
- Grill, pan fry, or BBQ the ribs. The LA style cut is thin, so they’re cooked much faster than usual ribs. It takes only about 5 minutes!
- When the both sides are cooked, put them on a serving plate. Cut the meat part off the bone with scissors into bite sized pieces.
- Put a piece of meat on top of a lettuce leaf. Add dipping sauce, garlic, and a piece of green chili pepper. Fold it over into a small package, and pop it into your mouth in one bite!
Kim, G. (2010, June 20). LA galbi recipe [Blog post]. Retrieved from Maangchi website: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/la-galbi